Mock Interviewing: Questions and Answers
What happens during a mock interview?
Practice interviews provide a chance to build your skills and confidence by conducting a mock interview. During your session you'll play the part of a job seeker. Roxie Brackin, your job search coach, will be the “employer” interviewing you. You'll act (as much as possible) just as you would during a real interview.
Why bother going through a practice interview?
A good interviewing technique is a skill you can learn. By gaining knowledge about interviewing and then practicing, you will develop your skills and perform better during real interview sessions. Thus, you’ll increase your chances of receiving a job offer.
How do I arrange a mock interview?
Email Roxie Brackin to schedule a time for your practice interview.
Getting ready for your practice interview
To get the most value from your experience, prepare by following these steps:
- Have a résumé critique in the Career Action Center.
- Select the type of job you want to be interviewed for (i.e. office manager, bank teller, accounting clerk, paralegal).
- Learn about interviewing.
Check out web sites or review books located in the Career Action Center Resource Room (MLT 138) or your public library.
- Prepare and practice your answers to common interview questions.
- Develop a list of questions to ask during interview.
- Send an e-mail to CAC and include the following information to prepare for your interview:
- Name of the job you are interviewing for
- Three or more interview questions you want included in the interview.
These can be questions you are uncomfortable with and want to practice or questions which are specific to your field.
What do I bring with me?
- Your résumé
- Your questions to ask
Dress professionally, just like you would for a real interview
For the adventurous - have your interview videotaped
For the greatest reward from your interview, consider having your session videotaped. This will provide helpful feedback when you review it. If you want your interview videotaped, please email Roxie Brackin to make an appointment. She will make sure the video lab is available at your appointment time. Please bring your own blank videotape to the interview.
Each is the maker of his own good fortune.
-Miguel de Cervantes, Spanish writer