Edmonds College Logo
Counseling Center

Substance Abuse Information

What is Substance Abuse?

When use of a substance interferes with functioning in everyday life or when drug or alcohol use has an impact on your relationships, your health, or your overall well-being.


Screenings are to be used for insight building and self-awareness. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of substance use dependence or disorder or any other medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional, and should only be used as a guide to understanding your alcohol or substance use and potential health issues. Please see a medical or mental health professional for additional information, support and referral for treatment or support groups.

Rethinking Drinking or alcoholscreening.org - Answer a few questions about your drinking pattern and receive feedback

Are substances harming your health or increasing your risk for other problems? Check out "Do I have a Drug Problem?"


For Crisis Intervention, Information and Referral call the Alcohol Drug Helpline at 206.722.3700.

SAMHSA's Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator is an online source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the U.S. for substance use and/or mental health concerns.

Local NA meetings may be found here: Narcotics Anonymous

A family member in need of support, local meetings may be found here: Al-Anon Groups

For concerned friends and relatives of someone with a substance abuse problem Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers offers a free Intervention Class. Find out when an intervention is appropriate, how it is accomplished and more. Visit the web site or call 425.823.3116 for more information.

For information about addiction or to find recovery options near you visit DrugRehab.com

For resources and information for any stage of recovery, try StartYourRecovery.org

Paying for Treatment

Treatment for alcohol/drug dependency is now covered in all private and employer-sponsored health plans under the Affordable Care Act.

If you are enrolled in a state-funded health insurance plan through Apple Health/Medicaid, you will contact a treatment agency directly for setting up your care. You do not need a referral from your managed care plan, because this type of health care is funded directly by Medicaid.

If you are low-income and need help paying for treatment, you can apply for Apple Health/Medicaid or come into the Counseling Center for assistance.

For assessment and/or treatment you may apply directly to one of the following:

  • Catholic Community Services in Everett 425.258.5270 or Marysville 360.651.2366.
  • Evergreen Manor in Everett 425.258.2407 or Lynnwood 425.248.4900

We encourage you to make an appointment at the Counseling and Resource Center to meet with a professional counselor, who can provide a screening, listen, offer feedback, and provide referrals to treatment resources. Please call 425.640.1358 or drop by MLT 145 to schedule an appointment.