New Student Checklist
Before you Register for Classes:
▢ Choose a Degree or Certificate
- Program of Study handouts are available in lobby, or go to the Academic Catalog
- Undecided? We can help you identify your academic/career goals. Contact a Career Development Specialist.
▢ Apply for Financial Aid
Do this early! Deadlines are important.
▢ Complete/Submit the Admission Application
▢ Determine English/Math Placement
- Your placement for English and math classes generally takes place at the time of Admission.
- Placement is determined by taking an assessment test called ACCUPLACER, OR
- By submitting documentation that exempts you from taking the ACCUPLACER.
- It is important to prepare for the Placement Test. Visit Testing and Assessment Services for information and sample questions.
▢ Attend Advising
This is an opportunity to discuss your placement scores, determine the classes you need to take to meet your academic/career goals, and obtain vital information about your next steps.
- You are ready to register for classes after you attend an advising session.
- New students register during open enrollment – see Registration Chart in class schedule or go to: /es/documents/registration-chart.pdf
After you Register for Classes:
▢ Get Your EdPass, Bus Pass, and/or Parking Permit
- Your EdPass is your college ID, and is needed to access some services and buildings on campus.
- If you drive to campus, a free parking permit is needed.
- An ORCA enhanced EdPass is available for those who wish to take the bus.
▢ Activate EdMail
- You are assigned a college EdMail (email) account within 3 days after you register for your first class.
- You are required to use it. It is the way we officially communicate with you.