Chemistry 161 Placement
Have you studied? Do not take the exam without studying. If you do not pass you will not be able to retake the exam this quarter or get an entry code to CHEM&161. This class will fill and it is only fair that we give entry codes preferentially to those students who have passed the placement test.
The exam includes the following topics:
- Basic atomic structure (protons, neutrons, electrons)
- Basic stoichiometry
- Metric conversions
- Moles, grams, Avogadro's number
When can I take the test?
If you are interested in taking the Chemistry 161 test during the COVID-19 campus closure, please send us an email requesting the Chemistry 161 placement test and inlclude your full name, your SID number, and your date of birth.
How long will the test be?
You may have up to two hours.
What do I bring?
- Photo ID (i.e. Driver's license; EdPass; Military ID, etc.)
- Receipt of $10.00 testing fee
- Bring your scientific calculator
- Periodic table and scratch paper are supplied
- No books or reference allowed
How will I know if I passed?
You must email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- The CHEM&161 placement exam Score Report
- Evidence that you placed into ENGL&101 (Formerly ENGL&105)
- Evidence that you have completed MATH&141 with a grade of 2.0 or higher or that you register for MATH&141 the same quarter that you take CHEM&161.
If you have passed the CHEM 161 placement exam and meet the other prerequisites for CHEM&161, you will able to register for CHEM&161 without an entry code..
You may obtain more information from the Chemistry Department email email@example.com.