We believe that, with good information, individuals can make the best decision about their own placement level for English. The Directed Self-Placement (DSP) process is designed to give you that information, and it will help you to choose the best English class for you.
Directed Self-Placement will take about 30-60 minutes. It consists of
- A short questionnaire about your reading and writing experiences
- Descriptions and sample materials for our different levels of English
After working through these materials, you should have enough information to choose the English course that's right for you to start in. If you complete both parts and still have questions, you can talk to an advisor.
Who is eligible for Directed Self-Placement?
- U.S. high school graduates and GED recipients who don’t place through one of our other multiple measures.
- Advanced English language learners who have lived and worked in the U.S. for around 5 years or more.
- Students in the EdCAP, High School+, and other adult high school completion programs may qualify. See your program advisor in the Pre-College division for information.
Running Start students and international students are not eligible for DSP at this time.
Ready to start DSP?
You'll need your first name, last name, and ctcLink ID to log in.