City of Edmonds honors start of 2012-13 academic year
In honor of Edmonds College Sept. 17, 2012
City of Edmonds Mayor David O. Earling attended Edmonds College's Convocation for employees on Sept. 17 at Edmonds Center for the Arts and issued a proclamation honoring the college and asking all citizens of Edmonds to join him in celebrating the start of the college's 2012-13 academic year.
Proclamation in honor of Edmonds College
September 17, 2012
• WHEREAS, Edmonds College is beginning its 46th year of service to our community; and
• WHEREAS, It is the third largest community college in Washington State; and
• WHEREAS, It impacts the lives of more than 20,000 students a year; and
• WHEREAS, It offers 75 associate degrees and 51 professional certificates in 33 programs of study; and
• WHEREAS, The college partners with local businesses to match its training to employer needs; and
• WHEREAS, The college prepares students for entry-level positions or to enter bachelor’s degree programs optimally prepared to succeed at the university level; and
• WHEREAS, The college provides more opportunities for science, technology, engineering, and math students and has received 20 National Science Foundation grants to do so; and
• WHEREAS, Its students have opportunities to challenge themselves with high-level academic programs including: Honors classes; undergraduate science research projects with partners including CWU, UW, WSU, WWU, and NASA; and service-learning projects with 50 community partners; and
• WHEREAS, The college contributes $227 million annually to the Snohomish County economy and $2.5 million annually in savings on social benefits; and
• WHEREAS, Our community college strengthens our diverse community by helping students access educational and career opportunities in a supportive environment that encourages success, innovation, service, and lifelong learning;
NOW THEREFORE, I, David O. Earling, Mayor do hereby ask all citizens of Edmonds to join me in celebrating the start of Edmonds College’s 2012-13 academic year!