Now accepting applications for the Global Leadership Summit at the University of the Free State in South Africa July 4-19
Edmonds College has been invited to send seven students to the Global Leadership Summit conference at the University of the Free State (UFS) in Bloemfontein, South Africa from July 4-19. The international conference, will be an exchange of ideas and experiences regarding diversity, racism, racial integration, social justice, and reconciliation within the higher education system.
International delegates from institutions in the U.S., Europe, and Asia will have an opportunity to understand South African society, and how university students are being looked to as the country’s future leaders.
International airfare (roundtrip Seattle – Bloemfontein), travel insurance, and some meals are funded by the Associated Students of Edmonds College (ASEdCC). The University of the Free State is covering all remaining costs — housing, most meals, local transportation, and summit fees.
The deadline to apply is April 17, 5 p.m.
For students that are transferring to University of Washington, Bothell, beginning summer quarter, there is an opportunity to apply through their program. The Global Leadership Summit is offered as a Summer Term A course, which requires tuition and all international travel costs (financial aid and scholarships are available on a case-by-case basis). The deadline is April 3.
If selected students do not have a passport, they will need to apply immediately.
Specific conference components include:
- introducing international delegates to challenges and successes at the University of the Free State;
- faculty/departmental lectures, research seminars, and discussions regarding collaborative projects;
- dialogue groups for students and staff hosted by various UFS units/divisions;
- two to three day visit to the UFS rural campus in Qwaqwa (in the Eastern Free State region); and
- excursions to local attractions.