Learn Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing
We can teach you English in a safe and welcoming environment. Our affordable English Language Acquisition (ELA; formerly ABE ESL) classes are for immigrants, refugees, or U.S. citizens that are non-native English speakers.
Who Can Take ELA Classes?
- is over 18;
- is a refugee, immigrant, resident, or citizen of the United States;
- lives in Washington state;
- is a non-native English speaker; and
- places into ESL Level 1-6.
- We also accept students with the following visa types: A, E, G, H, I, K, L, or R.
There are a few exceptions.
Tuition is $25 per quarter.
How to Get Started
New and returning students must complete an ELA Program Application in order to be in the program. Speaking and listening testing
If you are in the United States with an F, M, TN/TD, J, or B visa, call the Office of International Programs at 425.640.1518 for information.
- Six levels - beginning literacy through advanced
- Seven Levels of Pre-College English (AENGL classes) in person, hybrid, and online
- In person, online, and hybrid classes in the day, afternoon, and evening
- ELA Skills Lab - for students in Level 1-4 for extra practice and support
- ELA Language Lab - for students in Level 4-6
Get Prepared for College
We offer advanced ELA classes to help you prepare for college in subjects like allied health and business. Math classes are also available for students in levels 4 and above. We also have a transitions case manager who can help you plan for college, learn what steps you need to take to start college, and give you information about financial aid. Learn more about taking college classes after ELA and how to meet with the transitions case manager.
Start ELA Classes