Edmonds College Logo

Transitioning to College

I am in ELA (ESL) and want to start preparing for college. What should I do?

  • Take ELA 095 - Introduction to College - This class is for ESL Levels 4, 5 & 6 to learn about college, financial aid, areas of study, and the requirements to enter college. You should take this class 6-12 months before beginning college classes.
  • Decide what you want to study. The college has many choices. You need to decide if you want a short-term job training certificate or professional degree, or if you plan to transfer to a university to finish your Bachelor’s Degree!
  • Take a College Prep class. These classes help you improve your English skills, but at the same time prepare you to take college courses. Taking a prep class is an excellent idea if you plan to study in a specific program. You should take the class 1-2 quarters before you plan to begin college classes.
    • ELA 079 - English for Health Careers – This class helps students in Levels 5 & 6 prepare for the college’s Allied Health certificate programs.
    • ELA 074 - Small Business Preparation - This class helps students in Levels 4, 5, & 6 learn about opening their own small business or preparing to study business in college.
    • ELA 075 - Law for Everyday Life
    • ELA 071-073 - Office Skills
    • Meet with the Transitions Case Manager to make a plan!

I am almost finished with ELA (ESL). What should I do now?

  • Apply for Financial Aid. Financial Aid is money from the government to help you pay for college. Low-income students may be eligible for grants (that do not need to be paid back), and some may receive loans (that you must re-pay). If you don’t think you will be able to pay for college by yourself, you need to apply for Financial Aid about two quarters before taking college classes.
  • Take the LOEP test. The LOEP test will tell you what your English skill level is. It is necessary to take this test before you begin college classes.
  • Meet with the Transitions Case Manager. She will help you review your plan, go over your LOEP scores, review your Financial Aid status, and help you figure out what your next steps will be.

I am finished with ELA (ESL) and am ready to register for college classes. What classes can I take?

  • AENGL classes. AENGL classes are more advanced English classes to help you prepare for college-level work. The LOEP test will tell you which AENGL class is right for you.
  • I-BEST classes. I-BEST is a program that allows you to take college classes even if your English is not yet at college level. There are several certificates you can earn through the I-BEST program.
  • College classes. If you earn a high AENGL placement, you can take some college classes depending on your chosen certificate or degree. You can talk with an advisor in Lynnwood Hall for assistance in choosing your classes.

If you have any questions or want to learn more about going to college after ESL, please make an appointment with the Transitions Case Manager.