Edmonds College Logo

Frequently Asked Questions About Public Records Requests

How Do I Submit a Request?

You may submit a request online OR send a completed copy of the Public Records Request Form by mail, email or fax to:

Public Records Officer
Edmonds College
Mailstop: HUMRES
20000 68th Ave. W
Lynnwood, WA 98026


Fax: 425.640.1359

What happens after I submit a request?

We will initially contact you to acknowledge receipt of your request. Within five business days, we will either provide the records you have requested or, if the request is denied, we will explain the reason for denial. Additional time may be required to fulfill more complex requests. If this is the case, we will contact you within five business days with an estimate of the time required to fulfill the request. We may also contact you if additional information or clarification is required before we can process your request.

How will I get the records?

You may have copies of the records delivered to you by email, fax, or mail; OR

You may review the records in person at the college from 8 a.m-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you choose to review the records in person, it is recommended that you contact the Public Records Officer in advance to ensure that the records have been assembled and are ready for inspection.

Is there a charge?

There is no charge to inspect the records in person, however the college may charge a fee for providing copies of records. The college has adopted the default fee schedule for providing copies of records as set out in RCW 42.56.120. Additionally, the college may require a ten percent deposit in advance if the fee for producing copies of responsive records will exceed one hundred dollars. For further information please also see HR 12.01pr - Public Records Procedures.

Can my request be kept confidential?

No. Your request is itself a public record, and it can be requested by others. Public records requests are also forwarded to the departments holding the records and, in some circumstances, to third parties who have an interest in the records you have requested.

What can I do if my request is denied?

You may appeal the decision by submitting a written petition for review to the Public Records Officer, who will then refer the petition to the president of the college. The president or the president’s designee will review the denial and will affirm or reverse the denial or consult with the attorney general if needed. The request will be returned with a final decision within five business days following receipt of the appeal by the college.

What if I don’t want my information made available to the public?

The college must comply with state laws requiring that its records be made available for public inspection and copying; however, there are provisions in the law that exempt or prohibit disclosure of specific information to the extent required to prevent an unreasonable invasion of personal privacy (RCW 42.56.230). For more information, see the college’s Privacy Policy.