Procedures for Edmonds College students and Faculty mentoring students
Detailed Guidance for student research and for faculty mentoring students in research projects can be found in the Student Research Ethics Handbook. We advise that students and faculty review the Handbook in full, and then follow the applicable procedures below.
Navigate this page:
Standardized classroom research assignments are assignments where the faculty has a clearly defined set of research activities that all participating students will follow. For example, if an assignment specifies the project methodology, type of participants, and data management plan for all students.
- Faculty overseeing standardized classroom research assignments must complete a Faculty Ethics Certification for Standardized Classroom Research Assignments to declare that the student project meets all the criteria in Section 1.2. This must be submitted prior to beginning research activities.
- If several standardized research assignments are open to students within one class, one Certification Application can be used and submitted as long as each assignment is described within.
Non-standardized classroom research assignments are assignments where students develop and implement their own research projects. For non-standardized classroom research assignments, each student may have different methodologies, types of participants, and data management plans.
Student research that will take place at Edmonds College outside of a classroom assignment must also be overseen by a faculty member and follow the same procedures:
- For both types of research, the faculty overseeing the project is responsible for reviewing the student research project and completing a Faculty Ethics Certification for Non-Standardized or Non-Assigned Student Research to declare that the student project meets all the criteria in Section 1.2. This must be submitted prior to beginning research activities.
- Faculty must provide a description of each student project they are overseeing using this Student Research Ethics Form, which is a required upload. It is highly recommended that the students complete this form and it be reviewed by the faculty prior to submission.
- If several classroom assigned research assignments are open to students within one class, one Certification Application can be used and submitted as long as each project is described within.