Edmonds College Logo

Visa Holders and Undocumented Applicant Admission

Visa Holders

You must go through the Office of International Programs Office to apply for Admission if you hold one of the following VISA Types:

  • B – Temporary visitor for business or pleasure
  • F – Alien applicants (academic)
  • J – Exchange visitors
  • M – Alien applicants (non-academic)
  • TN – Treaty traders

Follow the regular Admission process if you hold one of the following VISA Types:

  • A – Officials of foreign governments
  • E – Treaty aliens
  • G – International Organization Aliens
  • H – Temporary workers
  • I – Representatives of foreign information media
  • L – Intercompany transferees
  • K – Fiancées and fiancés of citizens
  • R – Religious workers

Follow the regular Admission process if you fall under one of the following categories:

  • All green card holders (LPR)
  • Refugee
  • Undocumented Alien

Senate Bill 5194 - Residency Affidavit (formerly HB 1079)


Effective July 25, 2021, Senate Bill 5194 significantly changes Washington’s tuition equity law. Section
nine of the bill amends RCW 28B.15.012(2)(e), making it easier for all Washingtonians, including and
especially undocumented students, to meet residency requirements for tuition and state financial aid.
Since 2003, this part of residency law has been known informally as “HB 1079” for the bill that created
it. This law may be met by any student, regardless of citizenship or legal immigration status. It is one
of the many ways that students can meet residency requirements. The other ways to meet residency
requirements still exist.


To be a resident student under this law, students must:

  • Earn a high school diploma, GED, or diploma equivalent before their first term at the college determining residency,
  • Maintain a primary residence in Washington for at least 12 consecutive months immediately before their first term at the college determining residency, and
  • Sign an affidavit saying they meet the above requirements and that one of the following is true:
    They will file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States as soon as they are eligible to apply. And, that they are willing to engage in activities designed to prepare them for citizenship, including citizenship or civics review courses or
    They are a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident.

If you feel you qualify to pay resident tuition under SB 5194, complete the Admission Application and attach the Residency Affidavit (SB 5194) form to the application. You can also submit the Residency Affidavit to the Enrollment Services Office by emailing it to registration@edmonds.edu.

If you are on an F1 visa then please contact the Director of Enrollment Services, Testing, and Assessment Services to see if you qualify. 


Your information is kept confidential and is not reported to any government agency, except total numbers for counting purposes.