Edmonds College Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) program?

BFET is an employment and training program that provides a variety of employment services to recipients of federally issued Basic Food benefits (SNAP/EBT).

What programs will BFET support at Edmonds College?

BFET is an employment focused program. Any program offered at Edmonds College is eligible for BFET as long as final goal is to obtain employment. 

Are transfer degrees or BAS degrees eligible for BFET?

All programs including transfer degrees are eligible for BFET.

BAS degrees are not approved for BFET support per DSHS.

BFET, Worker Retraining, Opportunity Grant and WorkFirst all share a common application. Am I applying for these other programs too?

All four of these programs are part of Workforce Development Programs at Edmonds College, and many students are eligible for co-enrollment in multiple programs. These grants work together to provide the greatest level of service to our students with a minimum of additional paperwork. If you apply with any of these programs, you will be screened for eligibility in the other programs with this one application.

BFET requires students to apply for financial aid — what is the value of BFET then?

BFET financial assistance can provide a bridge for the student awaiting award of their financial aid. BFET will review a student's entire financial aid package and provide additional assistance if possible inside the student budget with Financial Aid. BFET provides an additional set of support services, including priority registration, childcare, basic food referrals to DSHS, and employment search services.

Will BFET fund my entire program?

BFET is not designed to cover the entire program of study for every student. BFET reviews each student's need every quarter. If BFET has tuition available and can provide assistance - the grant will consider additional funding.

When can I know if I qualify for childcare with BFET?

After you submit a complete application and DSHS has approved you for BFET, the Deartment of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) will decide if you qualify for childcare assistance. You will need to meet with BFET staff to complete on-campus training plan created by BFET staff as part of the eligibility process.


Financial Aid requires me to petition for reinstatement in order to continue at Edmonds College. Will BFET pay my tuition and books while I petition or if I am not approved by Financial Aid?

Financial Aid tracks academic progress for most programs on campus, BFET included. We will discuss potential options with you at intake appointment once we review your application and Financial Aid status.

I have an advanced degree. Can I apply for BFET?

Students with advanced degrees can apply for BFET approved programs, but funding will be based on availability.

Do I need to have my GED or HS21+ completion to enroll in the vocational programs with BFET?

You can earn the GED® or HS21+ completion through the BFET program. You may be able to take some vocational class that apply to High School completion. Speak to a Pre-College department advisor regarding this option.

Why is the Academic Plan so important?

The Academic Plan is your road map for classes. It is the college's guideline for knowing what classes you require to complete your program. BFET uses the Academic Plan to seek your approval from DSHS for training. BFET expects all students to adhere to their plan and take required courses to remain eligible.

What is an Individual Employment Plan (IEP)?

The BFET grant requires each participant to have an Individual Employment Plan (IEP). The IEP is an employment goal document in the same way the Academic Plan is a document for your classes. The IEP will be created at intake appointment and annually if you remain enrolled in BFET.

How does BFET help with employment?

The BFET grant in Snohomish County now has a number of Community Based Organizations (CBO) that work directly with BFET students to help them with their job search. This is one-on-one assistance and provides a variety of BFET support services, such as child care or basic food referral during the job search.  Referrals can be made to our CBO partners at any time during your eligibility with BFET.

Do I have to keep my Food Benefits open to participate in BFET?

Yes. If your food benefits are closed for any reason, BFET will not receive approval from DSHS for your continued participation.

Can I be on TANF and BFET at the same time?

No. Students receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) are not eligible for BFET. Students wishing financial assistance from BFET must be off TANF completely before the quarter begins. This means you must notify DSHS before the 20th of the month prior to the start of the quarter.

What if DSHS requires me to participate in BFET to receive my Basic Food Benefits?

If DSHS requires you to participate in BFET program to maintain Basic Food Benefits eligibility, you need to apply for BFET. If you are approved for BFET, we will provide you with a Basic Food Referral to DSHS.