Edmonds College Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the NW Washington Welcome Back Center (NWW)?

NWW is an international healthcare workers assistance center. We serve as an information and resource center for people who have received their formal education and training in a health field outside of the U.S., who live in Washington State, and who would like to enter a health care profession in the U.S.

What services are offered by NWW?

NWW provides orientation, counseling, and support to foreign-trained health workers. We assist participants in developing a career pathway plan that builds on their education, experience, and skills. In addition to receiving support in obtaining appropriate professional credentials and licenses for their profession, we can assist participants in exploring relevant educational programs, job and volunteer opportunities, and alternative career options.

Who is eligible for these services?

All foreign-trained health professionals currently living in the state of Washington are eligible for the program. Those living outside the U.S. are not eligible. 

How much do the services cost? 

NWW is a non-profit organization. Services are free of charge. 

Is a work permit required to be a participant?

All foreign-trained health professionals are welcome to participate in NWW. We will share any information available about work permits or employer-based sponsorships. However, we have no influence or means for procuring these for participants. NWW can refer participants to agencies that offer advice and services related to immigration status issues.

Does a NWW offer educational scholarships?

No, NWW does not have funding to provide scholarships. However, we can help link participants to appropriate community college and university programs, as well as financial aid offices.

Does a NWW offer professional licenses?

No, each participant will have to follow existing licensing procedures for their respective profession. NWW provides information about existing licensing procedures for all health professions.

Does NWW offer job placement services?

No; however, we can refer participants to other agencies that may be able to help them pursue job opportunities offered by health care employers and other agencies in the area.

Are interpreters available at the NWW?

NWW does not have interpreters on staff. We will do our best to help find interpreter assistance and/or resources on a case-by-case basis.

What is the first step in becoming a participant?

There is an initial interview with our educational case manager to document participants’ educational and professional experiences. We provide information and guidance about licensing requirements, credential validation agencies, health-related educational programs, and English language courses. We also help develop a career pathway plan with the goal of finding a similar or alternative position in health care.

What information is required to meet with the educational case manager?

Copies of diploma(s) and transcripts, as well as copies of any certificates or licenses are important for the initial meeting with the case manager. A professional resume describing work experience in health care, if available, is also useful.

Can NWW put participants in touch with other health professionals going through the same process?

Yes, NWW offers workshops and other group activities as needed, such as licensing exam study groups and general information meetings to serve as peer networking and support group opportunities by profession.