Types of Classes
- Hybrid: Classes are held in-person and online. Classes replace a portion of in-class time
with online work.
- In person: Classes are held 100% in person.
- Independent Studies: Classwork is arranged with a faculty member with a learning contract.
- On-line: In the class schedule, check the class attributes to see if it’s an asynchronous
or synchronous online class.
- Online: No Scheduled Times: This class does not require specific meeting times. Instructor will provide due dates and students will have flexibility in what time of day they will work on the course. Check the course description to see if a course requires in-person exams. This is also called an asynchronous class.
- Scheduled Online Meetings: This class requires virtual meetings at a specific time. Check the course description to see if a course requires in-person exams. This is also called a synchronous class.
- Optional: F2F or OL This class offers flexible attendance options. Options vary and may include attending
sessions in-person [face-to-face] in the classroom, participating synchronously online,
or completing equivalent work asynchronously online. See class notes for details and
- Attend Online or On Campus: This class will provide students the option to attend sessions in person [face-to-face] in the classroom or online at specific days and times.
- Asynchronous: includes work that the student will do on their own time. In the course schedule, this is labeled as “Online: No Scheduled Times.”
- Synchronous: work that happens during a specific time. This can happen either in person or online through streaming (like Zoom). In the course schedule, this is labeled as “Scheduled Online Meetings.”
- OL: abbreviation of “On-line”, meaning there will be work to complete online. See below.
- F2F: abbreviation of “face-to-face”, meaning there will be some meetings that happen in person.