Edmonds College Logo

General Questions

Where can I go to get more information about the Computer Information Systems program?

Our website has a lot of useful information to help you get started. You can also read more information at the following link: https://bit.ly/edmonds_cis.

Which CIS faculty advisor should I see if I need help?

Each one of our CIS instructors are happy to help you. If you are working toward a specific area of study, you might want to choose the advisor for that program.

I'm interested in testing the waters or want to take a class for personal development. How can I enroll for a single course?

Enrolling for a single course is easy! If you have never taken a class at Edmonds College, before, you'll first need to apply for admission. You can complete an admission form online or pick one up at Enrollment Services, located in Lynnwood Hall, first floor. (You'll also need to pay an admissions fee.)

After submitting your application, you should receive information from the college on assessment and registration within two business days. Once you've done that, you'll want to register for your class. You can register online or in person at Enrollment Services. You'll need your student identification number (SID).

If I'm taking just a single course versus being enrolled in a certificate or degree program, do I need to take assessment tests?

No. For more information see our assessment information.

What if the class required for my certificate or degree doesn't run?

We work with students on an individual basis to find alternate courses suitable to the certificate or degree. You'll need to talk with your faculty advisor and they will find an appropriate substitution. If a substitution is made, make sure your advisor fills out a course substitution and submits it to GATE system, as this will be needed when you apply for graduation with your certificate or degree.

How do I apply for graduation?

A completed Graduation Application must be submitted to Enrollment Services by the 10th day of the quarter in which you plan to graduate. Learn more about the application process.

You will need an individual application for every certificate and degree for which you are applying.

How do I find my grades?

After each quarter, student grades are available online. Students may access their grades by the first Thursday after the last day of the final exam week. Grades are not mailed. Student transcripts record all courses and grades. You can find your unofficial transcript and grades in ctcLink. You'll need your SID and PIN to access the information.

I work and can only take classes at night, on weekends or online. Is your program flexible enough for me?

Yes. We work hard to make sure our classes are attainable for both traditional and non traditional students. CIS degrees and certificates may be obtained either in the day or at night/weekends/online. Please see a CIS faculty advisor to help plan your schedule accordingly.

How much math do I need to have to begin the CIS program?

You must either place at the Math 87 level or complete the courses to get up to Math 87.

How much math do I have to have to complete the CIS program?

The Math requirement for our program is completion of one of the following:  ETEC 150 , Math 107, Math 140,  Math 141 or any higher number Math course.

Is there a course substitution for CS 115 that will meet the graduation requirements for the CIS program?

No, please see a CIS faculty advisor.

Do any of your courses transfer to a University?

Yes. Currently we have articulation agreements with Western Washington University and Bellevue College.

Additionally, any course numbered 100 or above may transfer as an elective toward Edmonds College's AA degree, up to 15 credits. They do not usually transfer individually although some private schools may make exceptions. Other than that, they have to be a part of the AA "package" to transfer as general electives.

In addition, many CIS courses may transfer depending on the University, and some Universities transfer most, if not all of our courses as part of an upside down degree.  Please contact admissions at the college you would like to transfer to in order to determine how many credits you will be able to transfer in.

Some of the colleges known to accept many of your CIS credits are:

The planning sheets state that you must have a 2.5 GPA in order to graduate. Does this mean that you must earn at least a 2.5 in every course you take?

No. GPA stands for Grade Point AVERAGE.  You must average 2.5 in the program requirements.