Edmonds College Logo

working on campus

Employment on Campus

International students holding F-1 visa may work on campus only. Students must also maintain a 12 credit class load and have a 2.0 grade point average. Government funded work study positions are not available to international students.

Students may also work full time on campus (up to 40 hours per week) during breaks and approved vacation quarters. If working during the summer quarter, students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits or be on an authorized vacation quarter. In addition, students must also register for fall quarter.

Employment off Campus

F-1 visa holders must have permission to work off campus. Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an immigration option that allows international students to work in the U.S. in a job related to their major. Students normally work for six months up to one year after after graduation. Some students may also apply for CPT if working is a requirement to graduate from their program.

How to Get a Social Security Number

  • Apply, interview, and obtain a position on campus. Students can do this via the Career Action Center or directly with any department.
  • Get a letter from an employer verifying the offer/acceptance of a position on campus.
  • Fill out the Letter Request Form and submit to Office of International Programs. Students will be contacted when the letter is ready for pick-up; it may take up to one week.
  • Students will receive, upon receipt of their letter, directions to the nearest two Social Security offices, and additional directions on how to fill out the application materials. In most cases, the student will receive the card within 7-10 business days.

Filing Taxes

All international students who worked and received a "W-2" Form from their employer must file a tax return. At this time, Edmonds College does not offer a Filing Taxes workshop. 

Below are the items you will need to file taxes: 

  • Social Security Card
  • Passport
  • W-2(s) received from your employer
  • Your Bank Account Information (routing and account number)
  • I-94 or a list of dates your traveled outside the U.S. in the year

Other resources to help you file your tax return: