Chemistry 161 Placement Exam
Chemistry 161 generally requires completion of either CHEM 121 or CHEM 139 (as well as math and English prerequisites). Students who haven't taken the CHEM prerequisites but have sufficient chemistry knowledge may take the CHEM 161 Placement Exam in an attempt to skip those prerequisite courses and register for CHEM 161. Students are only allowed to take this exam once per quarter to qualify to take the course during a later term.
What's on the exam
The exam includes the following topics:
- Basic atomic structure (protons, neutrons, electrons)
- Basic stoichiometry
- Metric conversions
- Moles, grams, Avogadro's number
This is a challenging exam, and it's important that you study prior to taking it. If you do not pass, you will not have an opportunity to retake the exam until the following quarter.
How long will the exam take to complete?
You have up to two hours to complete the exam.
How to sign up for the exam
Please send us an email requesting the Chemistry 161 placement test and include your full name, your ctcLink ID number, and your date of birth.
What to bring to the exam
- Photo ID (i.e. Driver's License; EdPass; Military ID, etc.)
- Receipt of $10 testing fee
- Your scientific calculator
Periodic table and scratch paper are supplied. No books or references are allowed.
How will I know if I passed?
You must email email@example.com with the following:
- The CHEM&161 placement exam Score Report
- Evidence that you placed into ENGL 101 or higher
- Evidence that you have:
- Completed MATH 141 with a grade of 2.0 or higher; OR
- Placed above MATH 141; OR
- Registered for MATH 141 the same quarter that you will take CHEM 161.
If you have passed the CHEM 161 placement exam and meet the other prerequisites for CHEM 161, you will able to register for CHEM 161 without an entry code.
Need to Study for the Chemistry 161 Placement Exam?
Use our study resources and visit the Tutoring Center for help!
Study Resources Meet with a Tutor