Edmonds College Logo

Other Alternative Credit


In some circumstances, you may pursue other ways to earn course credits at Edmonds College beyond taking classes, transferring credit, and through approved exams. The primary alternative is the Prior Learning Assessment, which includes Course Challenges and Special Projects. We also may accept alternative methods on a case-by-case basis. 

Note: This page is not a substitute for speaking with an advisor. If you have a question or concern, please reach out to them.

Prior Learning Assessment

If you demonstrate prior learning based on the knowledge and skills you have acquired through work and training, you may be awarded college credit through our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program.  If the knowledge you can display is current and corresponds to courses taught at our college, you may be eligible to be assessed for college credit.Your level of competency should be comparable to that of students in regular courses, including theoretical and practical knowledge of the subject.

PLA credit is determined through the Course Challenge process and the Special Projects process. Visit the Prior Learning team’s website for more information or to complete the electronic course challenge or special project request forms.

High School Dual Enrollment Programs

Edmonds College is involved in multiple high school dual enrollment programs, including Running Start, College in the High School, and CTE Dual Credit (formerly known as TechPrep). To learn more about these programs, connect with each program's team:

Note: If you have questions regarding courses, credits, or transcript notations related to these programs, please contact Enrollment Services and the specific program team if you have questions or concerns.

Frequently Asked Questions