Edmonds College Logo
Running Start


We Accept Applications Year Round.

Currently Enrolling Students for Winter Quarter 2023.

Print Out Application Packet

Application Packet

Complete the five steps identified in the packet before the first day of class.

We're here to help! Email us at runningstart@edmonds.edu, give us a call at 425.640.1761, or stop by the office at Lynnwood Hall, 2nd floor, Rm. #235.

More information about each step is available below.

Complete the Online Application


  • Choose "Academic" for Program
  • Choose "Undecided" under "Degree or Certificate I am seeking" (unless you know the degree you want)
  • Choose "Running Start" under "I will be enrolling as a..."

Apply Online

What Happens After You Apply

You will receive an email from us with your Student Identification Number. This may
take several weeks. Once you receive your ID number, you will be able to complete step #2 and submit your forms.

English Placement

To determine which courses you are eligible to take, you must determine your English placement. You may be able to use your overall high school GPA or your scores from Smarter Balanced (SBAC), SAT,  ACT, AP English Language and Composition, or IB English. Check the English Placement Worksheet to determine your placement.

If you are unable to use one of the options listed on the worksheet for placement, you will need to take the ACCUPLACER Assessment. See below for more information.

Note: If you assess into ENGL 101, you are eligible to take a broad range of college level classes. If you assess below ENGL 101 (for example into ENGL 099), you are also eligible to take classes, but class offerings may be more limited. The list of classes you can take based on your placement can be found on our Equivalency Guides.

Math Placement

If you are interested in taking a math class or a class that has a math pre-requisite at the college (for example some of the science classes have math pre-requisites), you must determine your math placement.

You may be able to use your high school transcript or test scores from Smarter Balanced (SBAC), PSAT, SAT, IB or AP for placement. See the Testing Center's Alternate Placement page for more information.

Be sure to check the Testing Center’s “Placement Tables for High School Transcripts.”
These identify a math placement at the college based on the math classes and grades
you have received in high school classes.

If you are unable to use one of these alternative placement options, you will need to take the Edmonds College Math Placement Test. See below for more information.

Submit Documentation of Placement

  • Scan or take a screenshot of your unofficial test scores or transcript that includes class grades and cumulative GPA. (Be sure the test scores or transcript show your name).
  • Scan or take a screen shot of a photo ID (for example: ASB card, driver’s license, or driver’s permit).
  • Email both to testingcenter@edmonds.edu. Include your ctcLink ID


If You Need to take the ACCUPLACER or Edmonds College Math Placement Test

If none of the test score or high school transcript options work for you to determine your placement, you will need to take the ACCUPLACER and Edmonds College Math Placement Test to determine your English and math placement. The tests can be done from home. Go to the testing center site for additional information.

Test Prep: We recommend preparing for the tests by using our online resources

Accommodations: Contact Testing & Assessment Services at 425.640.1546 for language accommodation or Services for Students with Disabilities at 425.640.1320 for testing accommodation or support.

Note: The ACCUPLACER and the Math Placement Test are not pass/fail tests. They simply measure your current level in reading, writing, and math.

After You Receive Your Test Results

Contact Running Start at runningstart@edmonds.edu.  We will help you with the final steps to get set up in the Running Start program and register for classes. You're almost done!

Complete New Student Worksheet and Parent Guardian Agreement

Print out a copy of the "New Student Worksheet" and follow instructions.

Print out the "Parent/Guardian Agreement". Parent and student must carefully read this agreement and sign.

If you have an application packet, these forms are included in the packet.

Contact Your High School Counselor to Complete Enrollment Verification Form

  • You should have the following on hand when you email or meet with your counselor:

             1.  New Student Worksheet (Step #3)
             2Parent/Guardian Agreement (Step #3).
             3. Enrollment Verification Form (Print this out. If you have an Application Packet, it is included in the packet).

  • Discuss your schedule and fill out the Enrollment Verification Form with your high school counselor. (Before submitting to the Running Start office, the form must be signed by the high school counselor, parent/guardian, and student).

Submit Completed Paperwork

Email the Parent/Guardian Agreement, New Student Worksheet, and Enrollment Verification Form you completed in Step #3 to runningstart@edmonds.edu. Be sure all the forms have the required signatures.

Register for Classes

When you submit your completed paperwork, you will be given additional information about Running Start and Edmonds College and be able to register for classes. Winter quarter 2023 registration is open until January 3rd, 2023